Friday, July 25, 2014

LET'S TAKE A WALK MAMA



LET’S TAKE A WALK MAMA

By Tiisetso M Thiba

Let’s take a walk mama
To heights of eighties when I was new
To this earth of misery
Let’s walk and talk
About life
When your heart was not pleased
By the erstwhile situation
And you were still
Young and beautiful
Like a young cute rose
With colour so bright
And many souls want to sniff
Its fresh and pleasant aroma

Let’s continue to shuffle air mama
And talk about papa
When he was young too
And had a big ideal
Which his age lad didn’t have
You both walked down the aisle
Before tea bags under your eyes
And continue to show
You that he is a real man
A real deal
A unique and dignified man
He provided enough for us to survive
He pulled all strings down
To tell us what life entails
Because we were still blind
With no need for sticks to walk
Our eyes were wide open though
He is a light that needs no boost to shine

Don’t leave me behind mama
I want to walk step by step with you
When Pabi breathe the air for the first time
Tiny and so cute
Whooping like a baby in pain
At night, you were strong indeed
To witness what owls talk about
At night when she weeps for nothing
After twenty four months
Papas landed too, to increase our number
What a meek soul he is
Polite and with a voice box like mine
I reminisce his deeds mama
When his mind was full of aquatic
He was so short tempered like a lion
Hold my hand tight mama
Therefore I can feel your heartbeat in my palm
Do you remember when Nthabi
Arrived to conclude your
Wished kids’ chapter?
She has stolen Papa’s looks
She is so bright upstairs like a full moon
She is also used to cries too much
At night like Pabie did
A beautiful and much revering girl
We were all heavy on your back
Feeding us from your breast
To grow and be strong and firm
Like you and Papa

Let’s walk slowly mama
My chest is burning
And I’m smelling blood thru my nostrils
I know you have been thru
Hills and downs in life
You have been drowning in milady of life
Because you are strong as steel that refuse to bend
You have made it thru all odds
Mama I was there and my eyes
Perceived every scene occurring
Even today you are still strong and firm like a fiddle
They say God works in a mysterious ways
Indeed he does
Phoney souls portrayed saint spirit
But they are only people living in a glass houses
Let’s pull our feet to rest Mama
Life is too short but we will be here for a while


* Mr Thiba is a South African poet, short story writer, and literary activist

No comments: