Monday, February 10, 2014

NGUGI: CREATIVE WRITING RUNS IN THE FAMILY!



Ngugi wa Thiong'o:

"And then there are my kids too, Mukoma Wa Ngugi has written Nairobi
Heat and Black Star Nairobi.

"And then my daughter Wanjiku whose first novel The fall of Saints is being published in February. Then my other son, Nducu has written a book called City Murders...And I have got my senior son, Tee Ngugi - his short stories are coming out, so I do have quite a family of young writers!

"But all of them...I have fought them on this. I would like to see all of them...whether my own kids or
others - being a bit more conscious of African languages. I see the problem in that we do not have publishers. You write in an African language but the avenues for publishing are really so limited. We must
find a way to make that breakthrough somehow..." - courtesy of New African

No comments: