Sunday, April 14, 2013

Matshidiso’s literary debut





The frisson of excitement is gathering pace as female poet, Matshidiso P. Taleng launches her maiden book, titled “Secrets” this week in South Africa. 

She vouchsafes: “I was born here in the Free State Bloemfontein in 1988. I live with my mother and twin brother, my father passed away when I was very young. I'm a student at Motheo FET college and I'm also working at National hospital as an HCT."

She goes down memory lane to latch on to how the ‘poetry bug’ bit her with elan! “My love for poetry began while I was in high school, then I started joining a poetry club that was called "Beyond Mind Control" where we would meet with other poets and recite poems.”

She is already spreading her metaphorical wings with gusto. “I've also performed at the Vuka poetry festival that was held at Pacofs in the year 2008, and shared stage with the likes of, Napo Masheane, Lebo Mashile, Kgafela, Jah Rose and other poets.”

She adds: “In the year 2009 I was awarded a certificate of appreciation in recognition of valuable contribution to literature in the Free State by the Bloemfontein public library. It was tentative but satisfactory – a great initiative by the dynamic Charmaine,”

The feisty lady's new book, “Secrets” is an anthology of poems based in English. “It is titled after one of my poems "Secrets" because I believe one shouldn't be having secrets because sometimes secrets are holding us back from enjoying our lives and nothing good comes from hiding things!”

“And if you read the poem "Secrets" you'll see it’s a very deep poem that talks about what most people don't like talking about, so since it’s what I experienced as a child I can say I'm giving voice to the voiceless,”

No comments: